Winter formal meets masquerade ball

Lily Arzie
Winter formals flyer goes up for students to see. Many have expressed an excitement for the new theme. Photo provided by the Leadership Class.

A mysterious metal bass comes from the Auxiliary gym as it crescendos through the auditorium. The tepid moisture of the atmosphere due to the mosh pit forming in the center is an indication of a typical high school dance. However, there is something peculiar about the students. It’s as if they are uniformed and programmed to wear bedazzled masks. 

On February 3rd, Wilsonville High School will be hosting its annual Winter Formal. However, implementations in accordance with the dress code have been slightly expanded, and students are now encouraged to wear a face mask symbolling a rendition of a traditional masquerade ball.

Although some students are looking forward to a new spin on this year’s Winter Formal, others have confidence that participation will be bare. Verbatim of student Audrey Buck, “It’s stupid, and no one’s gonna do it.” Although her harsh assumption may preclude students from feeling encouraged, her criticism may help signify a change in the theme. 

Malia Kaleikilo, a junior at WVHS, sees the effort to diversify key themes, however she doesn’t believe it will be executed the way it was intended to. Kaleikilo thinks the primary cause of hesitancy to participate is a lack of comfortableness and fear of being “seen in a mask in front of people, cause it’s new.”

Furthermore, despite Kaleikilo’s lack of faith in the school’s notion, she recognizes its potential and hopes it is pursued by the school; she believes that “it might be cool” if participation is present.

Like Kaleikilo, some students feel dubious concerning the theme, which may lead to a miniscule attempt to the masquerade vision, however, the intent behind it may also help further expand the confidence of WVHS students.

Although the idea seems daunting at first, a unique interpretation of Winter Formal can help amplify the individuality of the school, setting it aside from others. Regardless of what students decide to do, the dance will emit a magnetic force that will inevitably compel students to have a great night.