New Years resolutions mark new beginnings at Wilsonville

Sydney Hanson
Emanuel Enriquez Granados and Mr. Esqueda fulfill their new year’s resolutions. Emanuel wants to read more and Esqueda has been journaling.

The new year is here, and it’s very common for people to celebrate the next 365 days by making changes in their lives, getting a new job, eating healthier, and studying more. These are some common resolutions that many times don’t get accomplished as the year progresses. 

Every year, it’s easy to say you will make these changes; sticking to them can be a whole different story. There are a multitude of ways to make these changes realistic and achievable. 

Sophomore Vaani Aga believes she can achieve her New Year’s resolutions this year. Her New Year resolutions are to reduce screen time and increase study time. “I keep reminders on my phone, so I stick with them and remind myself why I’m doing them.” 

Some people have other ways of sticking to their New Year resolutions, such as AP US History teacher Michael Esqueda.

When asked about his resolutions, Esqueda said, “I only have one, it is to journal every day. It’s a gratitude journal, my thoughts on work, personal life, things like that,” he explains to hold himself accountable, he sets an alarm for himself. 

New Year’s brings hope for the future and new beginnings, and although Mr. Esqueda believes New Year’s resolutions usually don’t work, he thinks it’s possible to by setting the right goals. 

“I think usually people, including myself, make a new year’s resolution to be too big of a change, and it ends up not working out, so I think they need to make smaller changes, like for me it’s journaling.”

According to Forbes, around 20% of people keep their New Year’s resolutions and say they will keep themselves accountable, this number is pretty low compared to the 62% of people who feel inclined to set a resolution.

It seems as though many people this year have been making New Year’s resolutions, which people have found can sometimes be difficult to keep.