Oscar snubs 2024: The overlooked talent of Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig ahead of the Oscars

Lily Arzie
One WVHS student visits the movie theater following the release of Barbie. The majority of theaters were swept with the success of the film

2023 was a year of fantastical cinema, bringing people back to movie theaters. With the Oscars nearing, however, there has been a staggering representation of nominations. Movies like Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, and Poor Things have all received prodigious recognition, but one film in particular was absent in major categories.

In the previous summer, movie theaters rekindled business when a peculiar movie made its debut; Barbie has served as a cinematic appeal to feminism and female glorification while addressing the misogynistic tendencies of society. This particular snub has led to global upset, particularly concerning the female community. 

Throughout the acclaimed motion picture, female grievances and marginalizing standards were profusely depicted, and this began the immersion of greater discussion of women’s rights and the life in which some are forced to live. Due to both the star of the movie, Margot Robbie, and director, Greta Gerwig’s disbarment from The Oscars in their featured categories, fans and critics recognized an irony that further supported the themes that were apparent throughout the film.

Alongside passionate fans of the phenomenon, notable politician Hillary Clinton used her X (formerly Twitter) account to express gratitude towards the snubbed recipients, saying “While it can sting to win the box office but not take home the gold, your millions of fans love you.” This further fueled the flame of justice for Robbie and Gerwig. 

According to People, the host of Turner Classic Movies, Dave Karger, chimed in on the matter, and claimed “It’s definitely not a good look that the Academy members left out Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie for directing and starring in a movie that’s largely about how impressive women are often marginalized,” and in addition to his take, he believes there is a bias within the Academy association.

Despite the Oscars ostracism of both Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the seemingly prejudicial snub has ignited a desire for greater representation of women. However, the pursuit of increased inclusion of honorable women shouldn’t degrade or downplay the achievements of other female recipients.