Wilsonville Football racks in All-State Awards

Wilsonville+celebrates+their+first+championship+in+19+years.+Many+of+this+Wilsonville+squad+took+home+All-League+and+All-State+awards.+
Kate Gore
Wilsonville celebrates their first championship in 19 years. Many of this Wilsonville squad took home All-League and All-State awards.

Echos of cheering and applause filled the gym as the Wilsonville Football team revealed their 2023 5A State Champion banner. The cheers grew louder as three-year varsity starter Mason Seal handed Athletic Director Josh Davis the coveted trophy.

Last year, Wilsonville Football had one of its most successful seasons yet. The last State Champion title for Wilsonville dates back 19 years to 2004. Despite many title appearances since then, Wilsonville was finally able to secure the 5A title in the 2023 season.

As Wilsonville transitioned into its winter sports and fall sports seemed like a thing of the past, this achievement was brought back into play as the 5A All-State Awards were released.

Wilsonville dominated these All-State awards, with numerous players in each category and many players tallying up multiple awards. Wilsonville wiped the slate clean in the first category.

Senior quarterback and Oregon State signee Kallen Gutridge received Offensive Player of the Year. Junior wide receiver, defensive back, and Oregon State baseball commit Mark Wiepert received Defensive Player of the Year. Lastly, Head Coach Adam Guenther received Coach of the Year. Guenther is a well-respected and recognized coach who is known for his great coaching, hard work, and preparation for his athletes.

The coaches gave us a great game plan each week but the preparation for the season started early in the summer with weights and getting us ready for the season mentally and physically”

— Nick Colyer

The First Team Offense crew included Gutridge, Wiepert, senior center Max Nelson, and senior offensive lineman Mason Seal.

Second Team Offense consisted of junior wide receiver Nick Crowley, senior offensive lineman Eli Nelson, and senior kicker Jack Miller.

On the defensive side, senior Noah Lubisich, junior Will Ingle, senior Nick Colyer, and Wiepert all collected First Team Defense awards. Seniors Gavin Waddell, Ty Smith, Kheller Larson, and Lucas Larson all received Second Team Defense.

Wilsonville was a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball. They worked on preparation that was specific to the teams they were to compete against. “The coaches spent a lot of time with us and prepared good practice plans that really broke down everything about the team we were about to play,” said Colyer. Gutridge agreed, adding, “The coaches did a great job preparing us with their scouting ability before each game throughout the season.”

The Wilsonville seniors went out on the best note possible as 5A State Champions. Many of these seniors also get to take home All-League and All-State awards. “My time with Wilsonville Football was awesome. There were lots of new memories and friends made. I made a lot of lifelong connections with coaches,” said Colyer.