Wilsonville Swim Dives Deep @ The NWOC District Meet

Silly post meet team photo. From left to right: Ethan Jastak, Alex Duval, Shelby Widman, Max Buchwald, Nic Johnson, Steven Khamvongsa. Photo provided by Kenzie Bezates.

Just like all of our exceptional athletics, clubs, and activities, the Wilsonville swim team is a powerhouse at the district and state level. Last weekend, the swimming Wildcats went to the NWOC (Northwest Oregon Conference) district meet on Bronco turf at Parkrose High School.

The girls team took 7th place, while the boys team finished 2nd place only falling to the Eagles of Hood River Valley. The girls team has only six swimmers and the boys team is roughly triple the size. Despite small size, the team works hard to get to state. 

The boys are sending several athletes to state to compete in the medley relay, Steven Khamvongsa, Ethan Jastak, Justin Paris, and Max Buchwald. The boys team is confident they can place well at the meet, and score some points for the Ville. 

“I am very happy with myself that I worked so hard and achieved my goal of making state. I think our relay team can secure a good placement this year,” said Ethan Jastak, swimmer for the state qualifying relay team. 

Additionally, Shelby Widman was proud of her team, fervently stating, “I’m so proud of my girls, It was really exciting to have five of our girls make it to day 2.” The girls are looking to go further and send athletes to state next year. 

The state meet is at the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center and is roughly a 50 minute drive to due traffic. The Wildcats will be competing with the top athletes from the other three 5A conferences, the Mid-western, Mid-Willamette, and the Intermountain conferences. 

Congratulations and good luck to the individuals who have qualified for the state meet and all returning students are welcome to join the swim team next year no matter the skill level. The swim team needs numbers, and everyone is welcome in the pool.