MEChA journeys to Portland State

A look inside the field trip that celebrated the featured club
The MECha club poses outside of the hosted building for a quick photo op. Over the years, the group has developed a strong connection between one another. Photo provided by Aysha Marin.

On February 9th, Wilsonville High School’s MEChA was invited to the local university, Portland State, to partake in a field trip dedicated to the endorsement of Hispanic communities within several local schools. 

The events that transpired included inspirational stories catering to the students, advice towards life after high school, and an overall recognition for the common interests that each student participant shared. Two students in particular shared their experiences, and the impact that it had and will continue to have moving forward.

Aysha Marin, a junior at WVHS, was a returning attendant of the event. Her biggest takeaway was “being able to connect with other MEChA groups, and understand the similarities many high school students face today.” 

Because of the overwhelming unified spirit that MEChA possesses, the club is especially important to Marin saying, “It builds great friendships and teaches us the importance of seeking out Latino culture in a community/society such as WVHS.” For Marin, there is an element of catharsis as she experiences tremendously impactful experiences alongside her peers.

Javier Juarez, a junior, accompanied the club to PSU as a member. Juarez was most inspired by the keynote speaker, who described his rise to success despite his losses. It taught Juarez that “ anyone can become a great leader and change their life for the better.”  

Juarez continued by highlighting the support that is solicited at the field trip to better support MEChA associated students thinking about their future. He expressed his appreciation for the variety of “options and suggestions for possible careers or lifestyles in the future.”

The liberation of this highly acclaimed association has better supported the students of WVHS, and further built a strong foundation that celebrates the students affiliated with clubs like MEChA. The school is incredibly lucky to inhabit a diverse community.