Galentines day, the power of friendship

Girlhood+has+always+been+an+important+component+in+growing+up.+Wilsonville+High+School+girls+cherish+memories+as+their+lives+progress.+
Sydney Hanson
Girlhood has always been an important component in growing up. Wilsonville High School girls cherish memories as their lives progress.

The month of February is known for its radiation of love and relationships. While February 14th is the universal date for Valentine’s Day, beginning around 14 years ago, a new way of celebrating this day has become popular. 

This new way of celebrating Valentine’s Day all started with Leslie Knope in 2010 on an episode of Parks and Recreation, titled “Galantine’s Day”. On this episode, Knope invites some of her closest girl friends over for brunch to celebrate the joy and importance of female friendship.

Ever since then, Galantine’s day has rapidly gained popularity throughout all ages, including many students from Wilsonville High School. 

Valentine’s day often feels like it is only meant to be celebrated romantically, which can be excluding to some, so Galantine’s day is perfect, even if you are in a relationship! This celebration isn’t meant to exclude romantic relationships, but rather highlight the importance of positive, supportive, and empowering female connections.

Some students here at Wilsonville High School have decided to celebrate this important day, and even while some didn’t, they can also agree that it is something that everyone should consider doing! 

Julie Murray, who is a freshman, decided to celebrate Galantine’s with one of her closest friends, Justine Kendall by spending extra time with her and exchanging gifts.

Murray explains that “Galantine’s is important because it’s celebrating a bond that you have between close friends and it’s a day to celebrate and show your appreciation to the ladies that you have in your life”.

Justine Kendall agrees with Murray’s statement and explains, “It allows us women to take a moment to breathe and forget about all that is stressing us out. It’s especially important because it gives me time to have a day with the girls I love and that have always been there for me. I also just think that it’s a good way to grow connections, relieve stress and overall have a good time!”

Vivian Ward, a sophomore, also spent this day with some of her friends in which attend another high school. Ward shares her experience and says, “We feel like Valentine’s isn’t an occasion that you need a significant other for, you can just be appreciating friends and love for your friends platonically.”

Overall, Galantine’s day is such an important thing to celebrate as women, as it brings people closer together and creates amazing memories even while not being in a romantic relationship.