Hobbies of the bored

Elie Katz
One of the many wonderful creations of one Elie Katz. An axolotl covered in a color explosion of yarn.

In people’s pastimes entertainment is a must, for who cares to be bored out of their minds when they could rather be doing something they love. 

Elliot Porter and Elie Katz are both connoisseurs in the art of hobby, spending their downtime exploring all sorts of activities and schemes. 

Porter enjoys an array of theater, playing bass, and climbing. Climbing being what they hold closest to their heart, their love starting around ten months ago in a rock climbing gym of their dreams, only thriving and growing larger due to the fun and work out of the recreation.

When she has time to herself, Katz utilizes an artistic set of talents, explaining that her “main hobby is crocheting, but I enjoy most art forms like sculpting, painting, and drawing.”

Katz’s crochet beginnings started when she was about six, adding up to ten years of yarn in the present. Telling that, “My aunt was the one who first taught me the basics of crocheting, but really it was just kind of self-motivation.”

Her enjoyment of the craft stems from its versatility, “Crocheted things are easy to gift, and you can make pretty much anything from stuffed animals to clothing,” she describes.

Within Porter’s many climbing accomplishments one shines brighter than the others, their quest of climbing a V5. They tell the story of how “there was one climb in my gym that was one grade above what I had been able to climb before.” 

After practicing for a long time Porter was able to eventually pull off the feat of climbing it, they reveal “it felt like a big accomplishment because the scale is 0-9 and the V5 was a 5, meaning I was halfway to the hardest one in the gym.”

While Porter has a specific climb in mind, Katz considers the small crochet class she taught for a while as one of her biggest achievements. 

The question of a career within these fields of activity brings uncertain answers, Porter describes that they do not consider themselves fit for a career in climbing because they haven’t reached a professional level.

Katz’s uncertainty stems from the economy, “I think it could be, but it wouldn’t have a lot of stability. I guess that’s how most art careers are though.”