Wilsonville High School’s slam poetry event was a success!

Sophomore English classes did an amazing job participating in the Wilsonville High School slam poetry event.
Alina Jakobson
Jett McCall holding his award for his poem titled “Unnamed.” He is planning on pursuing this art further in the future.

On March 12th, 2024, sophomore English students participated in the Slam Poetry event held by Mrs. Asher, Mrs. Heaton, and Mrs. Mosey. All did a wonderful job giving students a chance to discover the art of poetry. 

Twelve students total ended up competing for the winning prize with eight pieces of poetry. Jett McCall wrote a moving and intense poem titled “Unnamed” about his view on the unpredictability of life.

When asked what his influences were when writing “Unnamed,” McCall explained, “The Dark Side of the Moon because it all flows together and then it cycles around to be endless. I wrote the poem to be endless because of the spontaneity of life.”

McCall also mentioned that his process of writing this poem was that he sat down, played One of These Nights by Eagles on loop and wrote for two hours. McCall talked about his experience with the experience gratefully, noting how it was jarring to walk up on stage and see 300 spectators staring back at him. 

Jett McCall’s incredible performance of “Unnamed” titled him first place winner of the Wilsonville Slam Poetry event.

Ingrid Mosey, sophomore English teacher, expressed her excitement for the success of the event, noting that it has inspired many students at Wilsonville High School and that she was particularly impressed by the vulnerability and courage displayed in the poems. Something that stood out to her was how fun and interactive the audience was with many students having posters and cheering.

“I was really in love with the quality of the poems and how vulnerable and courageous they were.”

Mrs. Mosey mentioned that because of the success of this event, there will be another event next year as well as speculations of a new poetry club!

Overall, the Slam Poetry event not only showcased the talent and creativity of Wilsonville High School students but also fostered a sense of community and appreciation for the art of poetry, leaving a lasting impact on both participants and audience members.