Hot takes

What opinions have Wilsonville students been keeping to themselves?
Grace Kelso
Seniors Ashlyn Hartford and Cammy Gore hold a sign featuring an extremely hot take. This can be an example of the hot takes heard around the halls of Wilsonville High School.

Everyone has some sort of an opinion. Even the most supposedly indifferent person has to have one thing that they like or don’t like. Some of the time, people will keep their strong opinions under wraps, afraid of what the public will think of their uncommon beliefs. On the far end of this scale come hot takes.

Many people come to agreements on subjects like pop culture, politics, music, or food for example. However, there can be an outlier in these common opinions, someone who sometimes secretly has their own views on something that isn’t commonly agreed upon. 

A senior at Wilsonville High School, named Kellen Rapp has a burning hot take: “The college board is a whole scam and they don’t give you a proper score. They want to hide passing scores from students so they give out less than they tell you and they don’t give out fives to people who deserve them.”

In some cases of expressing hot takes, people can discover that they share their opinions with others, giving them the confidence to voice what they really think.

Jack Barrett has a plethora of hot takes that he is willing to reveal. Ranging from food to style, Barrett is not without an opinion, saying, “I think Jordans work once in a while with outfits – and they have to be specific outfits – but one thing I don’t like is when people wear Jordans with formal outfits.”

Barrett continued sharing hot takes but on a different note: “I’ve never had a rebel and I don’t like rebels from Dutch. I’ve had plenty of sips but I’ve never enjoyed them.”

Hot takes can be a good way to get to know someone. When meeting new people, one way to learn if someone has different tastes is to ask if they have any hot takes.

Learning that Mikayla Mendyk has a strong opinion about a popular fashion trend is not something that could’ve been discovered without asking: “I think plaid pajama pants are out, they aren’t stylish and it just looks like you rolled out of bed and went to school.”

Jack Barrett has more to say about controversial outfit choices. “If I saw someone wearing Uggs in the summertime, I think I’d have an aneurysm.”

Hot takes are fun and sometimes scary to express. With uniquely strong opinions, feelings can get hurt and friendships can become distanced. So for the majority, it can be best to keep hot-takes cold and be positive. On the other hand, it’s always exciting to hear new perspectives.