The Tempest’s final curtain!

Xander+Povey+and+Josie+Peykanu+act+out+a+scene+together+in+the+beginning+of+the+play.+Later%2C+Peykanu+left+the+stage+and+Povey+delivered+a+monologue.+
Mia Poppe
Xander Povey and Josie Peykanu act out a scene together in the beginning of the play. Later, Peykanu left the stage and Povey delivered a monologue.

This year’s winter production was The Tempest, a play by William Shakespeare. It had a total of six shows, with closing night just a couple weeks ago on March 9.

Xander Povey, who played Prospero, the lead in the play, shares why he decided to join the play and his thoughts on The Tempest overall, stating, “I had never done a Fitzgerald-directed production before, and I know I had to do one before I graduate. I’ve also never done Shakespeare before, and I was really interested in getting into some complicated text which is a lot of fun.” 

When discussing the shows in detail with Povey, he mentions that all of the shows were admirable from opening to closing night. He acknowledges his castmates, mentioning that they put all of their spirit into each performance, and he notes the improvement by removing nervous jitters from opening night.

Lastly, Povey reflects on his time in The Tempest, explaining, “I’ve made some really cool friends in The Tempest, and when I look back on this time in however many years, I’d rather remember the memories I made with people that I think are really cool and who really make me enjoy theater.” 

Fellow Senior cast member, Axxel Zaragoza, also reflects on his work in the production, emphasizing, “I’m a Senior in High School, and I wanted to have the High School experience. I tried a little bit of sports, and I wanted to try the school play. I went in hoping to get a part, and fortunately, I did get one.”

While Zaragoza sympathizes with Povey’s sentiment of making lasting memories with his castmates, Zaragoza also details that, “By the time it got to the end of the play, I was exhausted, and the spring play follows shortly after, so the feelings came and went for me, and I didn’t have time to process.” 

As shown, the ending of The Tempest evoked a diverse range of emotions from its cast members; however, there is a clear consensus that the show meant plenty to each of them and has created lasting memories.