Bend and snap: Wildcats prepare for the fall musical

Mikaela Ochocki

Drama club students gathered for their first meeting of the year on Thursday. Many of them will participate in the audition workshop this afternoon.

Ahead of the much anticipated Legally Blonde, The Musical auditions, the theater department has organized an audition workshop led by actor and director Andrew Bray, taking place this Friday from 3:00 to 6:00. Bray encourages students of varying experience to participate in the workshop, and he said it is “a chance for those unfamiliar with the audition process to gain some perspective on how to prepare,” as well as an opportunity “for folks who already have an audition piece to practice their audition in front of their peers.” As a director, Mr. Bray knows how important auditioning is. He recommends that “a prepared audition tells other people first and foremost that you are reliable to work with,” and he shared some audition skills that he will impart to students this Friday. These skills cover some specifics of auditioning that a first-time auditioner or even fairly experienced actor might not be aware of, including the “making a cutting of a song,”  “how to prepare sheet music for your accompanist,” and “tips on proper vocal technique.” Other lessons are more basic, but no less essential, and potentially more helpful including “how to control your nerves” and the benefit of taking risks, which Mr. Bray cites as one of “the best ways to get better at auditioning (and acting as a whole).” The workshop will also be a huge opportunity for seniors who want a last chance to do a high school musical and beneficial to any actor who wants to improve his or her skills in a supportive and safe environment.