Girls lacrosse kicks off the season

The varsity and JV lacrosse teams visited Papé field at the University of Oregon to watch the womens lacrosse team.  Although Oregon lost, the event was a great bonding experience for both high school teams.  Photo provided by Grace Richards
The varsity and JV lacrosse teams visited Papé field at the University of Oregon to watch the women’s lacrosse team. Although Oregon lost, the event was a great bonding experience for both high school teams. Photo provided by Grace Richards

As Spring sports are jumping in full force, girls lacrosse is no exception. Coaches and players are hitting the field, ready for the 2024 season.

Grace Richards, the girls lacrosse varsity head coach, and Andrea Kaelin, the junior varsity head coach, “Coach Drey,” have been helping their players prepare for the upcoming season, and now it’s finally time for the girls to take the field. 

Starting in the Fall, the dedicated coaches scheduled field time for optional practice so that the girls could put in some work in the off-season. This training consisted of running drills, practicing skills, and running “mile Mondays” to help get in shape for the Spring. 

“I attended as many preseason activities as I could and focused on staying in shape, so I was prepared for lacrosse to start,” Sophomore Sophia Lopez said. All the hard work and planning from players and coaches in the preseason seemed to have paid off when the girls started the season with enthusiasm and intensity in the first week of practice. 

Not only are players working on the skills needed for the game itself, but they’re also learning to communicate and work together. “It’s important to have chemistry because lacrosse requires a lot of teamwork,” freshman Andrea Ormsby said. 

At the beginning of the season, the girls held a fundraiser, which allowed them to raise over $7000 towards supporting the program and players. Some of the money went towards uniforms and sweatsuits, but most excitingly, the money paid for a team bonding trip to Eugene, Oregon. 

Most members of the varsity and JV teams were able to attend the trip. The girls did lots of fun activities together, including games, a hike, and a trip to the University of Oregon to cheer on the Ducks Division I girls lacrosse team.

Freshman Gabby Mirzac said, “The trip helped me get to know a lot of girls better, and it was really fun. The girls and coaches agree on the importance of relationships with teammates. 

When the team got back from their fun trip, their 13-game season started right away with an away game against Jesuit and a tough loss against the reigning state champions. Despite not getting the win, the girls worked hard. “All I ask is that you give 100% effort,” Coach Drey tells her girls every game. 

100% effort is the mindset that the teams plan to take into the rest of their season. With many more practices and games, the girls want to continue working hard and developing their skills. Their season is just getting started, and players and coaches are enthusiastic about what it has to offer