Wilsonville baseball looks to win first league series of season, take on La Salle in rubber match

Wilsonville baseball has started with a sub .500 record in the first few games of league play but look to right the ship and win the series against their rival the La Salle Falcons
Justin+Schramm+makes+a+play+at+third+base+earlier+this+season.+Schramm+dealt+in+the+first+game+of+the+series+vs+La+Salle+giving+Wilsonville+the+1-0+victory.+Photo+provided+by+Greg+Artman.+
GM Artman
Justin Schramm makes a play at third base earlier this season. Schramm dealt in the first game of the series vs La Salle giving Wilsonville the 1-0 victory. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

Wilsonville baseball has struggled through the first league series against the Canby Cougers losing the first couple contests 4-2, and 14-10 respectively. However, Wilsonville seemed like they got out of their rut when they notched their first league win on a walk off error with a final score of 5-4.

Canby a tough team is likely to finish in the first couple spots of the North West Oregon Conference at the end of the season which will result in a playoff berth, not an easy series to kick off the league schedule for the Wildcats. After that they were tasked with the next best team in the conference with the likes of the La Salle Falcons.

Going into the series La Salle had swept Hillsboro and had a perfect 3-0 league record before taking on Wilsonville. Wilsonville took game 1 of the series with Justin Schramm throwing a complete game shutout and the Wildcats getting just enough to squeak out a 1-0 victory.

Despite that, La Salle dealt a counter blow to Wilsonville in game 2 with a 9-6 victory on their home field. This sets up a fascinating and very important game 3 for both teams. Wilsonville will look to win their first league series of the year while at the same time aim to get their league record to .500. On the other hand La Salle will look to take the series, improve on their #14 OSAA ranking, and maybe even move into first place in the NWOC.

Wilsonville will hand the ball to Luke Haener in a massive game 3 here is what the Wilsonville starter had to say just before first pitch, “I need to be confident and throw strikes, the defense will do their thing and if that happens I have 100% faith that we can end this series with a win.”

Meanwhile Luke Larson will try to lead the Wilsonville lineup, the Wildcat outfielder commented on what the batting order needs to do for this to be a successful Friday night: “We need to hit the ball hard, be smart on the base paths, and take advantage of what they give us. We just need to play our game the way we can.”

If the first couple games from this series are any indication of what game 3 could look like, buckle up for an electrifying back and forth matchup in this series deciding game.