Unveiling the story behind award winning artworks: The Clackamas ESD Regional Art Show

Jack Barrett gives insight into his process of creating an award-winning artwork.
Jack Barrett’s Vincent Van Gogh nicho, encapsulating the artists life and work. Jack Barrett anticipates creating more art for shows in the future. Photo provided by Jack Barrett.

Wilsonville High School holds many artists waiting to be discovered and appreciated. Among the artworks showcased in the halls of the Clackamas ESD, many pieces created by Wilsonville students drew the attention of onlooking judges. 

Jack Barrett, with his detailed and handcrafted nicho dedicated to Vincent Van Gogh, dives into the intricate process behind his work. “The process took me two months to complete,” Barrett states. His artwork was riddled with great detail encapsulating Van Gogh’s iconic paintings and items significant to his life. 

He goes on to claim, “I aimed to celebrate Van Gogh’s enduring legacy while inviting viewers to reflect on the aesthetic of his artistry on the collective human experience.”

Barrett describes working on the project to be very enjoyable despite the challenges he experienced: “I never wanted to stop working on it and I was always excited to go to the next step,” he recalls. Upon learning of his award, he felt very grateful to be recognized because of the amount of time and effort it took to create. He was excited that others saw the creativity and uniqueness that he saw. 

Barrett used many new art techniques to create his nicho. He had to create dimension through multiple layers of paint and dry brushing. He also experimented with new textures using numerous mediums such as paper mache and clay. 

Jack Barrett’s experience with the Regional Art Show gave him a new view on creating art. He states, “It influenced me to continue doing art, and not only just to keep doing more of it, but to expand my knowledge on it and to appreciate the art world and everybody else who creates art.”

As Jack Barrett reflects on his experience, it is understood that the The Clackamas ESD Regional Art Show was an amazing opportunity for artists to receive recognition for their amazing work.