Avery Devincenzi shatters the school record…twice

Avery Devincenzi in awe after learning that she has broken the shot put record at Wilsonville High School. Devincenzi looks to continue to break her records and place well in the district and state meet. Photo provided by Michael Williams.

Avery Devincenzi, a senior on the Wilsonville High School track team and University of Montana signee, stepped into this season with one goal in mind, to break the school record in shot put and discus.

The original records for Wilsonville High School sat at 127″ for discus and 40’ 6” for shot put. “My main goal was to break both of the records and leave something for the younger throwers to chase,” said Devincenzi. The shot put record was set in 2018 whereas the discus record dates back to 2006, just a year after Devincenzi was born.

Devincenzi broke the discus school record at home during the Wilsonville Invitational with a throw of 129’ 4” which also secured her first place and a new PR. She also placed first in the shot put in this meet.

The following week, Devincenzi and her team traveled to the University of Oregon for the Oregon Relays at Hayward Field. In one of the most amazing track and field environments there is, Devincenzi broke her shot put record with a throw of 41′ 10” and had a lifetime best by a half inch.

“I prepared by meditating and practicing my breathing because when you get into those big moments like being at Hayward, it can be overwhelming so it allows me to just take a second to breathe, listen to my body, and allow it to memorize the motions of my throw,” said Devincenzi.

“It was surreal to break the records and especially break the shot put record at Hayward. The environment was unmatched at Hayward. It was awesome to break the discus record at the Wilsonville Invitational because all of my family and friends were there to support me,” said Devincenzi

“We want to win state for the girls team. We have a strong girls’ field team and I want to finish the season strong and continue breaking the records I just set,” said Devincenzi.

Devincenzi and the Wildcats will finish their season off with a few more league meets and hope to do well in the district meet to compete in the esteemed state championship at Hayward Field.