Students learn about future career opportunities

Mia Winters, Vaani Aga and Sydney Hanson practice suturing bananas at a career expo. Its important to participate in opportunities to learn about future careers. Photo provided by Yaamini Aga.

As the end of the school year approaches, Wilsonville students, specifically seniors, are thinking about possible future career and educational opportunities now more than ever.

It can be scary not knowing what life will look like post-high school, but Wilsonville High School offers many opportunities for students to see what their options are.

In March, students had an opportunity to go on a Career EXPO field trip to Portland with Ms. Davis, where professionals in the medical, engineering, childcare, and journalism fields were able to answer questions.

Vaani Aga participated in this field trip and explained that it was a great experience: “ I was able to get some hands-on experience, such as learning how to do sutures on a banana with the help of a real doctor. This made me think about doing something in the medical field.”

The Clackamas Community College hosted another career-related field trip this month at the Holden Industrial Technology Center. There students gained hands-on experience and learned about some opportunities.

Students got to learn networking skills, participate in an interactive showcase, and learn about apprenticeship programs in various fields.

The CTE showcase showcased various different programs such as computer science, health sciences, business, education, welding, and auto careers. 

Students at Wilsonville are constantly being introduced to new opportunities such as the CTE showcase and the career expo for career ideas and help for future endeavors.

When asked, Owen Feinblatt says that he thinks these opportunities are very important and vital for students futures: “It’s one of the great things about our school, we are exposed to a lot of opportunities that we wouldn’t have known about otherwise, I think it’s pretty  important.”

As graduation season approaches, seniors are stressing more than ever about their futures. Career choices, college, and higher education are looming large, but the numerous opportunities Wilsonville offers can help alleviate this stress.