Wilsonville Track and Field embodies the meaning of a team

Ronan Nothwang, Ethan Dunn, Kaden Bertell, Hayden Fish, and Nathan Hershman hang out on the stands together before warming up for their events. The majority of boys featured here are distance runners and are often seen together outside of Track.

Track and Field is one of the largest sports teams at Wilsonville High School, yet somehow, it is also one of the closest. Since the very first practice, bonds have formed between athletes, no matter what different events they do. From bus rides to hard workouts to disappointments and successes in competitions, the track community has worked to be the definition of a good team.

This harmony is visible to outsiders, too. Before meets, the team runs a lap together, single file formation, in a line stretching across nearly the whole straightaway. They end the lap in the middle of the field, where a mass of people comes together to scream, “Go Cats!” while other participating teams look on, transfixed by the ritual.

The surprising unity of the track team is created through the contributions of many. Coaches make sure traditions such as the team lap and cheer live on. Students bring playlists to blast over the loudspeakers at practices. Parents bring food for the after-home-meet potlucks. Athletes bring a willing attitude and excitement to participate.

An attempt to explain the track team’s closeness would not be complete without mentioning the impact of this year’s seniors. From making hair bows for all the girls to happily talking with lowerclassmen to leading the team cheer, these seniors have had such an important role in setting the tone for the season.

The energy these upperclassmen have brought to every practice not only makes track a fun place to be but also shows the rest of the athletes how to carry on being a team after the seniors are gone. Tearful hugs accompanied this year’s Senior Night as lowerclassmen realized their dear friends and role models would not be returning next season.

The track team’s focus on people has created an environment that encourages growth and inspires people to continue treating others with kindness. Thank you to all the athletes, coaches, and parents who contribute to the family closeness of the Track and Field team, felt now and for years to come.