Summer wardrobe at Wilsonville

This+is+a+recent+thrift+haul+from+Max+Buchwald.+He+went+to+the+Goodwill+Bins+and+found+various+pieces+of+clothing.+
Mia Poppe
This is a recent thrift haul from Max Buchwald. He went to the Goodwill Bins and found various pieces of clothing.

As the school year winds down, summer approaches, which is heavily anticipated by Wilsonville High School students. The change in season is also accompanied by a change in wardrobe.

While skirts, dresses, shorts, and tank tops become staples, the planning behind summer outfits goes beyond mere clothing items.

Max Buchwald, a senior at Wilsonville, explains his summer attire plans, stating, “For me, I wear less layers in the Summer than in the Spring. I’m mostly wearing cool graphic shirts, I guess.”

He continues, claiming, “You kind of have less pieces to make a statement with, so you got to wear cool shirts, cool shorts, and stuff like that.”

Despite having a clear vision of what he plans to wear, Buchwald prefers thrifted finds over typical retail shops, mentioning, “For summer, I’m definitely still thrifting for my clothes, I’m actually getting more time to thrift without school, so thrifting over the summer, for sure, and also vintage markets.”

He adds, “[I think] vintage markets are a really good place to get thrifted clothes, it’s usually more curated, so you don’t really have to do all the rigorous work of looking for the clothes yourself.”

Thrifting resonates with numerous Wilsonville students, including Aysha Marin, who describes her style as “basic girly.”

She details, “I’m a pretty basic girly when it comes to fashion, but I love denim shorts, cute sundresses or maxi skirts, those are so cute, or a denim skirt.”

While she still shops retail, Marin is increasingly drawn to thrifting due to its affordability and eco-friendliness. “I do a lot of online shopping but I shop at Pacsun and Hollister, and I love thrifting. Thrifting is where I get most of my clothes, honestly because it’s just so cheap and also good for the environment.”

As students begin their summer activities and seasonal shopping, their diverse wardrobe and thrifting habits further contribute to artistic expression here at Wilsonville.