Summer across the world

Wilsonville students share their experiences abroad

Jack Burns having fun with Syrian refugee children.

Italy, France, Greece, and Lebanon. Just a few places that Wilsonville students have visited this summer. Once school starts many people discuss their adventures over the previous three months. Although most students stayed domestic, a couple of seniors had the time of their lives abroad.

Senior, Jack Burns ventured to Western Asia this summer to help Syrian refugees migrate safely to Lebanon.

Jack explained “I did a lot with Syrian Refugee children.  I played games with them, taught them art and did projects, sang songs and visited their homes to hear the stories of their families and there passage to Lebanon from Syria.”  

Jack has volunteered a lot with his church; however, this was the first time he joined them for their yearly trip to the city of Beirut and the Bekaa Valley.

Although Jack was only there for a little less than three weeks, he says “ I just loved being around the kids and helping them have fun in such an overwhelming time of their life.  They are all such loving and fun kids making leaving so difficult and sad.”

Another senior, Honour Colby,  recently spent over a month in Europe in July and August. Her time was spent in France for the first two weeks.

Honour explains “I wanted to visit my friend in Paris who I hosted at my house this past spring” also “to develop my French and do an immersion in the culture.”

Honour is in AP French this year and her time there certainly prepared her for this upcoming year.

After visiting her host sister, Maëlys, Honour met up with her family to explore Croatia, Italy, and Greece for two more weeks. Her favorite part of her trip?  “the musée d’orsay was incredible and the Greek island beaches were insane.” said Colby.

Honour plans to return to Europe next summer and says “I loved meeting her friends and seeing what living in France is like. I would live in France!”

If any students are interested in studying abroad, there are resources such as Lyndi Tucker at the College and Career center, your school counselor, or your world language teacher for opportunities to travel abroad!