The music behind the musical

Musicals take a lot of work, and Legally Blonde: The Musical is no different!  Not only are there people running around on stage, but also students creating the music behind the musical. Pit Band is a group of 14 students and 4 professional players who learn and play all the music that goes along with the actors’ singing. Pit Band is being directed by Andrew Bray this year since Mr. Davies, the band teacher is on paternity leave. Andrew Bray has helped the theatre department with auditioning workshops in years past, but this is his time helping the band.

Senior Maddie Diehl is the second trumpet player, as well as Pit Band’s Student Director. “It’s been super wild being student director, and it’s something I’ve never done before so I’m really excited. I took a few classes on band directing and it’s been great using those skills.”

Pit Band has put in a lot of work for this show, and it is very different from shows that have been done in the past. Diehl states, “This show is more early 2000s pop, whereas Anything Goes was more jazz, and Little Mermaid was symphonic. Legally Blonde has a different style and feel.” The music is also more complicated in places, and this is one of the reasons why there are professional musicians playing with the Pit. This means that there are fewer students in Pit than in years past. Diehl said, “It’s difficult having a smaller pit because of scheduling conflicts, but we are a really tight-knit group and it’ll work out really well.”

Legally Blonde opens November 1st! Tickets can be found at http://wildcatdrama.com/buy-tickets/