The pep band’s spirited basketball season

The+pep+band+performing+at+a+basketball+game%2C+comprised+of+symphonic%2C+jazz%2C+and+concert+ensemble+members.+

Meghan Barry

The pep band performing at a basketball game, comprised of symphonic, jazz, and concert ensemble members.

The pep band at Wilsonville High School is notorious for performing during football season. At the moment, they are pivoting towards the basketball home games. The performers are a distinctive blend of students from different levels of experience. This ensemble is comprised of the jazz, symphonic, and concert band. They were all trained by Chad Davies in a variety of band literature, whether it be traditional or contemporary music. The pep band receives the most exposure compared to the other ensembles, because of their crammed sport event schedules. Even with little time between season, the band does not fail to produce a lively sound each time.

Although there were many highlights of the basketball season, some students have taken notice of how the ensemble has evolved compared to years past. Senior and trumpet player Eric Bergstrom revealed, “We added a few new charts, and are a new, more tight group.”

The pep band is a formidable counterpart in inspiriting, a crowd of students because they spend a substantial amount of time rehearsing inside and outside of school hours. A typical routine for a band student is a whirlwind of intense sessions of practice throughout class periods. Each day the band room is teeming with life. The students are enthusiastic and ready to delve into warm-ups, and then their charts. During the week, the symphonic and concert ensemble come together and work on new music. The selected music is a combination of genres. The current pieces include “Frankenstein” by the Edgar Winter group, “Hey Pachuco” by Royal Crown Revue, and a rendition of “In the Stone” by Earth, Wind & Fire.

Senior Hugo Romero allocates a cumulative ten hours of practice on the flute. He has played for six years and has a resume of basketball game solos, district solo ensembles, master classics, and even state solos. Lisa Blomberg, a senior who plays the percussion drum, has also been actively working towards perfecting her instrument for six years. Blomberg disclosed that she sacrifices a few hours of spare time in preparation.

The procedure for each game is ever-changing, for it depends on the playoff situation. So far, the pep band has had around fifteen successful performances at girls’, boys’, and unified games. The next games in which they will rally will be on the 22nd and 26th of February. The rest of their schedule depends on how the playoffs will turn out.