Is it important to read?

Caio Resende

An image of a book for my opinion article; Is it important to read?

There are many people who are captivated by the endless chapters of a book. Whether it be the intriguing complexities of the characters or the page-turning plot. It may be in the genre of nonfiction, fantasy, science fiction, or even romance. Surprisingly, there is a plentiful number of compelling novels scattered throughout the Wilsonville High School Library that go unnoticed.

Students may resent the idea of using their spare time reading a book in place of binging Netflix. In the English curriculum, students spend a substantial amount of time forced dissecting the ‘deeper meaning’ of a novel. Sometimes they opt out of reading the assigned literature. There are several incentives to reach for a book outside of the curriculum.

Reading simply for pleasure is beneficial for numerous reasons. When following a book’s plot, it stimulates the brain and sharpens the mind. This is essential because it enhances the reader’s critical thinking skills in other aspects of life. It also helps cognitive processes such as the imagination. A well-told story can take a person wherever they want to go. The best part about reading is that by the end of a book, a reader will have a clear image of the scene. This is perfect for a momentary escape from life’s trials, and to alleviate stress.

Another justification for reading more is that it will expand general knowledge. A person can learn so much about the world, even if it is a work of fiction. It develops vocabulary and improves communication with others. As the mind is continuously receiving new words, they will eventually infiltrate into speech (you’ll sound even smarter!).

In addition to developing refined speech, light reading can lead to better writing. Consequently, a person can write sufficiently in their English papers or science investigation write-ups. Readers may inadvertently pick up the author’s style, and implement it into their own writing. In every novel, there is always a surplus of new vocabulary words that can be utilized in essays.

In conclusion, choosing a book over a television show, or social media is vital. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, a local library, or high school library are ideal places to begin a search for interesting literature.