GM Artman

Senior Kellie Yoshida competing in the long jump. She won both the long and triple jump on Wednesday against Milwaukie.

Wildcats dominate the Mustangs

On Wednesday afternoon, the Wilsonville Wildcats destroyed the Milwaukie Mustangs in a dual league meet. The girls varsity won convincingly with a score of 115 to 29, while the boys varsity scored 105 to Milwaukie’s 39.

Milwaukie does not have a particularly large team and was absent from many events. For example, both the 4 by 100 and 4 by 400 relay races were entirely comprised of Wilsonville teams. Milwaukie also lacked depth in the jumping events, with no boys competing in the long or triple jump, and just a single boy high jumper.

Even with a lack of competition, Wilsonville athletes pushed each other to set new personal records. This was best seen in the jumping events, where thirteen new PRs were set. Senior Kellie Yoshida won the long jump with a personal best jump of 15’2.5”. Yoshida won the triple jump as well, with a season record of 32’4.5”.

On the boys side, a slew of new best jumps was recorded. Sophomore Kyle Lam won the triple jump with a mark of 39’1”, which was a PR of more than four inches. Coming in second was freshman Kellen Hartford, who posted a new personal best 37’10”. Hartford also placed second in the long jump, while freshman Rocco Marshall won with a distance of 19’3.75”.

The JV boys jumpers were outstanding as well, and three of the four triple jumpers achieved their new personal best. Marshall won with a jump of 39’4”, which was a new PR for the freshman. Sophomore Austin Emmett and freshman Aiden Siler recorded their personal records as well.

As always, the Wildcats shone in the distance races. One of the most impressive races was the boys 3000, in which sophomore Ben Sheirbon broke ten minutes for the first time. Though listed as JV, Sheirbon won the second fastest time of the day, behind freshman Ben McClelland, who ran a 9:54.74. Sophomores Caleb Yaso and Jackson Rapp PRed in the 3000 as well.

Sheirbon had a successful afternoon, running a new personal best 4:38.99 in the 1500, which was enough to place second. Freshman Jacob McCelland won the event with a time of 4:32.50. In the JV boys 1500, Wilsonville entered seven athletes and saw four of them PR. The fastest of the bunch was junior Jorge Aguilera Lopez with an impressive 4:40.49.

The boys 800 was a competitive race, with sophomore Sebastian Pinger just barely edging out Ben McClelland to win the event, posting a new PR along the way.

The girls ran some spectacular races as well. Freshman Ashli Edmiston won the 100 meter dash and came second to junior Haley Stahl in the 200 meter dash. The 400 meter dash is one of the most tasking races, and junior Sam Prusse posted an impressive time of 1:03.37, which was enough to win the event and secure a new PR. Sam’s younger sister Gabby had a good meet as well, placing second in the 800 meters and winning the 1500.

One of the best times of the day came towards the end of the meet, when sophomore Carly Shanklin PRed in the 300 meter hurdles, winning with a time of 52.56.

The Wildcats managed to make the meet competitive for themselves, even with a lackluster opponent like Milwaukie. All eyes are now on Saturday’s invitational, which is at home. This meet is huge, with over twenty five teams in attendance. There is sure to be strong competition and plenty of exciting races this weekend, so come out and support your Wildcats!