ELD visits the Oregon Zoo

Melody Garcia-Gonzalez

Students visited the Oregon zoo. After a quick lesson, they were able to walk around and see the other exhibits.

The ELD program aims to helps students whose second language is English. Due to difficulties and the continued learning of the English language, many students need a hand with understanding their school assignments. Due to misunderstanding and communicating in English, some of these students may have a harder time in school. The ELD program was created in order to help these students overcome these challenges.

However, ELD is not just about being stuck in a classroom without being able to practice what they’ve learned. This week, ELD took a field trip the Oregon Zoo in which they were able to apply what they’ve learned to a real-world setting other than school. They kicked off the trip with a small lesson about the nutrition of the animals of the zoo and a small exercise of how the nutrition can have a serious effect on a animal’s lifestyle. Then they were able to pet some zoo creatures that were brought in by the zookeeper. Lastly, they had time to visit the exhibits in the zoo and see the latest member of the Oregon Zoo family; the Red Panda.

Students were not only able to practice what they’ve learned but also had fun in the process.