Behind the scenes: pep band

The+pep+band+performing+at+a+basketball+game%2C+comprised+of+symphonic%2C+jazz%2C+and+concert+ensemble+members.+

Meghan Barry

The pep band performing at a basketball game, comprised of symphonic, jazz, and concert ensemble members.

The best feeling in the world happens when you can hear the entire school cheering alongside you as the Football team scores the first touchdown of the game. That moment wouldn’t be complete without an anthem tying us together and somehow intensifying the screams of happiness. The band, specifically the pep band, makes those kinds of incredible moments happen by playing their instruments so that we have a soundtrack that we can cheer to. 

Practicing for games takes a lot of work and dedication. All students playing in different bands combine to make up the pep band which plays at home Football and Basketball games. Students put in a lot of time to prepare and work on preparations such as learning new music, rehearsing, and practicing not only at school but at home too. The students get together an hour before the game and practice for 30-45 minutes. Right now, the pep band has 10 pieces of music prepared and their director Mr. Davis is planning on expanding the selection.

Mr. Davis teaches and directs all instrumental classes and performing groups at Wilsonville High School. He dedicates his time to making the band and orchestra bigger and better. Davis is in charge of deciding what the pep band plays at the games and has them read off of numbered sheet music in a binder. He will tell them which “piece number” to play by calling it out, writing it on a whiteboard, or holding up the corresponding number of fingers. All of this happens within just a couple seconds and before we know it, the pep band simultaneously starts playing one of their songs. 

Without the hard work and countless hours of dedication the pep band and Mr. Davis put in, our Football and Basketball games wouldn’t be the same. Thinking of all the support that our music department gives to every student in the school, it makes you wonder what you can do to support them. It would mean the world to them if more students came to see the concerts that band and orchestra put on for the community. These concerts showcase complex pieces of music and the students would love to show everyone their true potential. 

The pep band makes the best moments of high school life long memories. It’s safe to say that they bring unity and energy wherever their music is played.