AP Human Geography mixes freshmen and seniors

Fiona Dunn

Pictured above is Anthea Goh and Cole Terry, both whom are taking AP Human Geo this year.

For the 2019-2020 school year, the AP Human Geography classes are mixed with both freshmen and seniors. In the past, there have been a majority of freshmen classes and one senior class. 

During forecasting, upperclassmen chose to take the class believing that there would only be fellow upperclassmen in it, but upon arriving they found freshmen in their classes. Freshmen, likewise, found seniors and juniors. 

Anthea Goh explained, “It’s kinda weird because they’re so much older.” Goh feels that having seniors in the class makes her more stressed out than if she was just with her fellow freshmen. 

“I honestly don’t have a problem with having freshmen in my class,” Cole Terry, a senior taking AP Human Geography commented. “But, I was frustrated that at the end of last year, they told us that it would be just upperclassmen, and then at the beginning of this year we showed up and there were freshmen.” 

However, Terry believes that Guay, the AP Human Geography teacher, is doing a great job teaching both the freshmen and seniors at their separate paces. 

AP Human Geography is a strenuous class, and molding together grade levels did not greatly affect whether or not the students in the class would or would not succeed, which in large part is due to Guay and his teaching. Guay still believes that a large percentage of his freshmen will get a 5 on the AP exam this coming May.