Freshman stars?

The weekend of December 10th, the Wilsonville boys freshman team started their high school basketball careers. Going 3-0 for the weekend, they had quite a successful opening. 

Stockton Sheets moved to Wilsonville from Utah this past summer. Sheets played well by moving the ball fast and keeping the ball under control even with pressure. Dropping around 20 points per game Sheets fit right in as one of the leading scorers for the ‘Cats. 

Maxim Wu, leading in assists for the team, commented, “I feel like we played really well…We started off slow, but then picked it up and got the win.” Wu showed up especially for his Saturday game, not only hitting all of his open teammates, but getting the ball to them even through almost nonexistent slots. Making all of his shots when needed, Wu helped carry his team to their current perfect record.

I feel like we played really well…We started off slow, but then picked it up and got the win.

— Maxim Wu

Amari Hodges and Connor Smith, both teammates of Wu, believe that their team played “good.” Hodges was only able to play in one of their three games, but for the game he played in, the ‘Cats won considerably outscoring Scappoose by over 70. Hodges had numerous fast breaks, outrunning Scapoose’s defense even through his persistent cough. Smith, on the other hand, was especially noticeable on the floor because of his communication with teammates and control of the ball. 

When each was asked about their thoughts regarding the upcoming West Linn game, the responses were all the same. Wu stated, “I am very, very, very happy that we are playing West Linn — I think we’re going to win.” When Sheets was asked if he was ready, he simply said, “ready to beat them.” Smith commented on the team’s game plan saying “win,” and left it at that.

The infamous game is taking place at West Linn High School on December 13th, where this newfound rivalry will be played out — and we will see who comes out ahead.