The last pre-districts swim meet of the 2019-2020 season

GM Artman

Tatum Hagen after completing the 500-yard freestyle.

Wilsonville High School’s 2019-2020 swim team just wrapped up their final swim meet this past Tuesday before they head to districts next week.

On Tuesday, February 4th, our swim team drove up to Shute Park in Hillsboro to compete in their last non-districts meet of the season against Hillsboro High School and Rex Putnam High School.

Freshman Tatum Hagen swims freestyle races and prefers to compete in long-distance events such as the 500. She described the atmosphere of the meet to be overall pretty great, even if it didn’t flow as smoothly as we’d hoped. “I want to PR under 7 minutes and 30 seconds for my 500 and I was 3 seconds off,” Hagen recalls, “but I did PR 6 seconds from my other time.” Hagen has dropped over a minute and a half from her beginning time in the 500 over the course of this year.

Similarly, junior Natalie Opager enjoys swimming the 50- and 100-yard freestyles as well as 50-yard breaststroke; during this last meet, she swam a 50 free in the 200-yard freestyle relay and the 50-yard breaststroke. However, Opager admits that this meet didn’t run as well as the team had hoped; “the JV swimmers didn’t really have any races outlined for them and were kind of thrown into whatever.” Opager was frustrated by this because she had no way of knowing what her times were and also no way of knowing whether they were being recorded.

In the end, both Hagen and Opager (and many other swimmers as well) are confident in how they swam on Tuesday, and the team is maintaining confidence going into districts-week.