Swim Districts 2020

Greg Artman

Jensen Lorio after winning 3rd in her 100-yard butterfly race.

This past Friday and Saturday, the 14th and 15th of February, the Wilsonville High School swim team boarded the bus for Districts at Parkrose High School. For some, this was the last meet of their season.

Districts is always an exciting time for the swim team because, since the team will be secluded in a gym for the majority of their day awaiting races, they get to bond with the other members. Multitudinous card games, tag and other odd-games are played to keep away the chill of nerves.

To contribute to the team bonding that Districts provides, the team goes out for an annual carb-loading dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory, something that every team member looks forward to all season. Although parmesan may be flung around the table and usually some drink always spills, the night is always loaded with fun.

As far as the actual meet, the girls lost by only 4 points to La Salle Prep High School. Junior Abby Maoz tied Dual Swimmer of the Meet which is something that has occurred before in her past swimming with Wilsonville High School.

After speaking with State alternate Camryn Pettenger-Willey, it seemed as though Districts, despite the girl’s loss, went pretty well. “I got 6th place in the 100-yard breaststroke!” Pettenger-Willey exclaimed, “and I was so proud of myself.” Pettenger-Willey will be joining those going to State this year.

Good luck to those representing the Wilsonville High School team at State, all of Wilsonville is rooting for you!