Former Wildcat plays #27 team in the nation

Greg Artman

Jayce Knapp started at quarterback in the 2019 season for the Wildcats. Knapp now plays for the prestigious Del Valle Cardinals.

Many of you may know Jayce Knapp. He was a student at Wilsonville high school for three years before moving to Texas for his senior year.

He has been the starting quarterback for the Cardinals, his new high school in Texas. In this past week his team, the Del Valle Cardinals, played the notorious Lake Travis, which are ranked 27th in the nation for high school football. Jayce threw a 70 yard play to start the game off leading the Cardinals to the first touchdown of the game. This caught Lake Travis’ attention and made the game much more interesting.

Winning was very unlikely for the Del Valle Cardinals but the first quarter of the game made it seem as if it would be a close game. Jayce Knapp ended up throwing for 153 yards in the game. The ending score was 13-42 with Lake Travis coming out on top. His past season has shown that much of his off season work was finally being realized. Texas is known for their football culture and the level of competition in the area, Knapp stated, “It was a tough game but those are the competitors they are looking forward to in the playoffs.”