Leadership II class hosts Coat and Sock drive at Wilsonville High School

WBN Instagram

Leadership II is collecting coats and socks on December 4th and 11th for their drive. All donated clothing will go to those in need in our Wilsonville community.

It’s wintertime, which means that Oregon is transitioning to winter weather. Because of the cold temperatures, many people in our community are in need of clothing that will keep them warm this holiday season. Wanting to help, our Leadership II class has started a Coat and Sock drive to collect donations for students and their families that are in need.

On December 4th, leadership II students worked together to collect coats and socks from the Wilsonville High School community. They set up in front of the high school and collected donations from noon to 3 pm, and are planning to be there again this Friday. If students wanted to contribute to the cause, but it’s not on the designated drop-off days, they could still come to the school and drop off their donations in designated bins during student material pick-up and drop-off days.

Leadership teacher Mark Sundquist emphasizes the class’ theme for the year, “Our theme for December is, ‘Building Community Through Connections and Giving’ and we really feel it’s important to help out many families.” 

Senior Serenity Paden is one of the Leadership II students who were part of planning the drive. When asked why her class decided to have the drive, she emphasizes how they wanted to give back to their community and spread some cheer.

We also wanted to unite our community a little, so hopefully the people that dropped off coats and socks felt more included in the schools community.

— Serenity Paden

All of the coats and socks that Leadership II students collect will be donated to the “Angels in the Outfield” organization. Coats, socks, and other clothing will be supplied to the Wilsonville community to families in need.

The next drop-off event will be on December 11th from 12-3 pm. Paden highly encourages that everyone donates to the drive. Make sure to drop by the school with some coats and socks on Friday!