The effect of COVID-19 on school clubs

Info-graphic created by Clover Marshall.

During Covid-19 times, school clubs have been getting fewer and fewer attendees. Some clubs such as the LGBT club are extremely important for a school to have for many reasons.

In an interview with Wilsonville High Schools LGBT club’s teacher in charge, Dominick DeGiovanni stated that the LGBT club is an environment where students can find other people like them, they can form friendships. Bonding with each other is something that Dominick really appreciates and admires about our students at WVHS. He also said that throughout all 16 years since he’s been in charge of the club, this year had the least amount of people attending the weekly meetings. 

Clubs that help people that much is needed in High School. The GSA Network said “Many GSAs function as a support group and provide safety and confidentiality to students who are struggling with their identity as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, as well as those who are experiencing harassment at school because of their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. These groups often provide one of the few safe spaces for students to express themselves.

High School is all about finding yourself, and if you are part of the LGBTQ community, that experience can be really scary. Students need a place to feel appreciated and loved no matter what sexual orientation or gender they are. Dominick DeGiovanniprovides a community like this every Wednesday at 2:00 pm in room 225. Our Instagram handle with everything you need is @wvhs_lgbt_club.