Día de Los Muertos

Photo by Mary Kimball

A beautiful display at the Day of the Dead celebration.

This year will mark the third year of Wilsonville High School’s Day of the Dead Celebration.  Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday that celebrates the memory of loved ones who have passed.  The idea is to bring their memory back to life.  Although we think of death as sad, The Day of the Dead is actually is a very happy time, as they remember what their loved ones loved about life.  This is a holiday that can be celebrated by everyone.  The goal is to unite the cultures instead of divide them.  You can expect to see lots of bright colors, marigolds, religious imagery, and art made by the students of WHS.  The night is put on by theM.E.CH.A club, National Art Honor Society, and The Art Club.  The groups make a combined effort to make the night special.  Students have also been working hard in their art classes to produce pieces for the festival.  Sculpture students have been working on nichos.  This is a traditional mexican piece that is similarto a shadow box.  They fill them with imagery that memorializes a person or an idea.  The jewelry class is making pieces that might be worn at a real festival in Mexico.  Folklorico dancers will also be making an appearance to perform for the audience.  Girls wear colorful, ruffled skirts to emphasizemovement, and the boys wear black pants accented with red and a traditional hat.  To add to the ambiance a mariachi band will be playing.  In previous years food trucks have catered the event. Crowd favorites like Voodoo Doughnuts and Churros Locos have made an appearance

In the past two years the event has experienced immense success, with hundreds of people coming each year.  Every year the group looks to improve the turn out.  “it is gaining momentum and I can’t wait to see where it goes,” expressed AJ Escobar, a teacher in the art department.  This year it will be taking place Wednesday November, 1, mark your calendars!