Rose City Sing-Off: A day to remember for Soul’d Out

Riley Mulrooney
Soul’d Out, Wilsonville High School’s acapella group smiles for the camera in excitement for the Rose City Sing-Off. First participating in 2007, Soul’d Out anticipates this event for years to come!

Wilsonville’s famous acapella group, Soul’d Out, recently competed at the non-profit Rose City Sing-Off on April 27th at Sherwood High School. This highly anticipated annual event includes talented students from the Pacific Northwest who showcase their impressive harmony and artistic abilities.

Wilsonville High School’s a cappella choir, Soul’d Out, was founded in 2007. It’s a mixed acapella group comprised of sophomore through senior students from all musical backgrounds and vocal types. They pride themselves on their diversity of character, timbre, and musical selections. They have enjoyed participating in ICHSA and the Rose City Sing-Off over several years.

Xander Povey, a senior from Wilsonville, shared his personal insights on the Rose City Sing-Off. He described it as one of the most significant events for Soul’d Out, a day filled with fun, singing, and camaraderie with other groups. The opportunity to receive feedback from judges was a valuable learning experience for the group.

Povey notes that the Rose City Sing-Off has a competitive element to it but is mainly a day to hang out with each other and come together as a team and community. He thought it was a great opportunity to share some of the work they were proud of and learn from the judges.

Overall, this event was an enjoyable experience for Povey, who was excited for his friend Sabrina Mercer-Rott, who won best vocalist. As for their performance results, Xander was optimistic. “I do not know what our place at Rose City ended up being,” he stated. “We were not in the top three, but one of our soloists (Sabrina Mercer-Rott) won best vocalist, which was very exciting!”

The Rose City Sing-off holds many memories for Wilsonville students in Soul’d Out. It was a great way for acapella student artists to showcase their talents and connect with other accomplished acapella artists.