Ms. Brunken and WHS mental health

Cheerful+poster+drawn+in+Ms.+Brunkens+room+by+Megan+Aken.+Ms.+Brunkens+room+upon+entering+the+front+entrance+of+the+counseling+office+is+the+second+to+the+left.+
Connor Larsen
Cheerful poster drawn in Ms. Brunken’s room by Megan Aken. Ms. Brunken’s room upon entering the front entrance of the counseling office is the second to the left.

Mental health is a priority of Wilsonville High School, and Ms. Brunken’s office is a center for resolving issues and strengthening mental health. Her office is located in the counseling office, which can be seen immediately upon entering the building from the front entrance. 

Ms. Brunken’s job at the school is to be the go-to person for resolving any mental or emotional trouble. She’s brand new to the school, and this year is her first at Wilsonville High School. 

“Any student that has any mental or emotional need such as breaking up with someone or dealing with test anxiety, I’m someone they can come talk to solve those problems and give them practical, tangible solutions to help them get better,” stated Ms. Brunken. 

Additionally, Ms. Brunken also works with the administration to lead campaigns to find ways to improve mental health at Wilsonville. She’s taught lessons on how the brain works in problem-solving and working memory, which helps kids with ADHD or at-home disturbances improve their learning. 

The cognitive behavioral triangle, which consists of feelings, thoughts, and behaviors, is a visualization of the cognitive process. It is taught to help students become more cognizant and self-aware so that they can control and manage the three elements of the triangle. 

Upon inquiry of what Ms. Brunken really wanted to share with the world, she recommended to “allow yourself to be vulnerable with safe people, just tell that friend. Additionally it’s important to practice mindfulness, there’s so much research backing the effectiveness for teenagers to try meditation to try mindfulness.”

If you’re looking for an opportunity to learn about your mental health in school, mindful studies is a great course to take. In today’s world, teenagers have lots of pressure from social media, academics, activities, and family challenges. With all this, it is important to seek out mental health resources, which are available within Wilsonville High School.