Filed under Student Life

AP Spanish: Miriam Miente

The AP Spanish class at Wilsonville High School is taught by Mrs. Brittany Armstrong. One of the topics covered in this class is beauty and esthetic. It calls to question; what is beauty? How is it defined? How do we perceive beauty? The students do readings and research of other countries, gaining some insight into the different definitions of beauty and how they apply to different things. To solidify their understanding of the subject, the class took a field trip to the Portland Art Museum to watch the Dominican film, Miriam Miente (Miriam Lies).

Miriam Miente follows the story of Miriam, a black girl who is planning her Quinceañera. She is to bring her online boyfriend to this important celebration. However, due to colorism within her family and friend group, she lies saying that her boyfriend is French, with blonde hair and blue eyes. When she goes to meet him, she finds out that he is black. She struggles to fight her own prejudice and accept him and herself for who they are.

After the film, students had the opportunity to ask the directors of the film some questions. These include questions about symbolism, the context of the story, how it differs from the US, etc.  Miriam Miente is still available to watch at Portland Art Museum so make sure to watch it before it’s gone.

About the Writer
Melody Garcia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Melody García-González is a junior at Wilsonville High School. She is a staff writer for the Paw Print. This is her first year writing for the Newspaper....