Predictions for the trends of 2021
January 15, 2021
Ready to head into the new year with your best style yet? Well, we can’t promise that here, but seniors Maddy and Mikayla can give you their best guesses as to the fashion trends for 2021. You never know what could emerge with Gen Z’s immense creativity, but based on the cycle of trends and what is gaining popularity as of late, we can get some indication. Let us know if you agree!
Hi, I’m Maddy DuQuette and welcome to the new year! I am sure I’m not the only one glad to leave 2020 in the past, but I have to admit, even amid the unconventional year, some impressive trends have emerged! So, what is in store for the trends of 2021? I’m certainly no fashion expert but here are my predictions.
1. The mullet- I know this is painful, but it just seems like the natural evolution of curtain bangs and the fringy hairstyle we are seeing now. Plus, Miley Cyrus has one, so even if it’s not totally mainstream, I think we’ll see it reemerging.
2. Acid wash jeans- I’m not sure if these went seriously out of style, but nevertheless I see their reintroduction to the mainstream trends. They were a trend in the eighties after all.
3. Sleeveless sweater vests- Yes, I know these are already a trend, but despite how much I despise these, I only see their popularity rising. Personally, I’ve never seen one that I didn’t think was ugly, but with their versatility and frequent pairing with turtlenecks, I think they’re here to stay.
4. Geometric, chunky earrings- Again, I’m drawing from 80’s inspiration here, but I think these could assimilate painlessly into the current style. Are you going to tell me you couldn’t see Emma Chamberlain rocking some oversized, emerald green, rectangle earrings?
5. Kitten heels- Already working their way up again, kitten heels will only continue to reclaim their early 2000’s fame in 2021. Thick headbands, wide leg yoga pants, and little shoulder bags, are already becoming popular, so kitten heels seem destined to join the mix too. Plus, they blend the current laid back shoe style (hence the rise of AF1s) with the Paris Hilton glam of their origin, making a perfect fit for the new decade.
Hi, my name is Mikayla Brehm, and after the last stressful year, I am ready for a new year! Since last year, the world was put on hold due to the pandemic, and not many fashion trends took off since there was no place to wear them. With hope to return back to our old sense of normal, here are some my predictions for the fashion trends of 2021 in no particular order.
1. Primary colors are going to come back into style this year. With all the chaos that has happened, people want to revert back to a sense of childhood, thus what’s more elementary school than primary colors?
2. In general, clothes are going to become even more baggy and loose. Because the majority of 2020 was spent not socializing, more people have come accustomed to sweatpants and sweatshirts and will not want to go back to tight fitting clothes. Thus this trend will still be on the rise as 2021 progresses and as more people can adventure out of the house safely.
3. Ripped jeans will be going out of style. They had their time, and now people will be moving on to something else; whether it is patch work or even bell-bottoms, it’s safe to say that pants will no longer have any rips or be distressed.
4. Bold eyeliner is going to continue to be more popular in the coming year. With TikTok having lots of influence, they have brought to rise trying different variations of eyeliner, whether by changing the color, or by different styles.
5. Although it might not be in everyone’s closet by the end of the year, trench coats and long coats will be seen more often. Long coats can be comfortable and a statement piece. Additionally, with the majority of yourself hidden behind the coat, you can feel a sense of mystery and strut down the sidewalk.