Thursday mornings bring lively debate to Wilsonville

Image from pixabay

Debate club promotes the free exchange of ideas.

Every Thursday at 7:45 in the morning, students pile into Mr. Ekman’s room to debate on the latest events happening around the world while eating donuts and getting to know each other better. The discussions are lead by Jack Burns and Mr. Deeder, the two men that helped start the club; Although these two lead the discussions, many of the other students’ voices are heard, and they are able to bring up topics as well.

When I attended the club this past week, the main topic’s revolved around world violence–more importantly, terrorist attacks. Student’s chimed in talking about the New York tragedy as well as the previous terrorist attacks around the world. Although many students had different views on the subjects, they all talked with respect towards one another. The debate club is a place where all different people are invited–doesn’t matter your beliefs or anything. Most of the time, the debates revolve around politics or major events happening around the world, like terrorist attacks.

The club started last year when Jack Burns and his friend Coltin Hill, who had opposing views, came together and were discussing the fact there was no middle point of view in politics, and they wanted to get their ideas out there. They wanted to start a safe place where all views are heard.

It’s not up for debate that the Debate Club is a new and upcoming club at Wilsonville. People with many different opinions gather to share their ideas in a safe space, and are encouraged to start lively debates. If you’re interested in joining, make sure to get in contact with Jack Burns.