Asking the big question

Wilsonville High School students reflect on being asked to Homecoming.

Juniors Aida Simonton and Grace Teekee pose with their sign. No matter the exact manner of the proposal, signs are popular methods among WVHS students.

Aida Simonton

This year many people have been asked or asked others to Homecoming. There has been a range of proposals, from standing in front of the entire school during the assembly to signs in the driveway.

Cheerleader Hannah Wilken was asked to Hoco by senior Grant Carli during the football game on September 16th. Carli gave Wilken a sign that read, “Hoco has a nice ring to it” along with flowers. This was one of the few public hoco-prosals that students were able to witness.

Wilken enjoyed being asked in public, she described, “all of my friends are already there, so I don’t have to tell everyone individually. It’s really nice being around others.” Other students may feel more pressured to say yes when being asked in a crowd.

Most people asked their date in private. Senior Gregory Keswick went to his date’s house earlier this week with a sign and flowers. His sign read, “Will you be my shining star at Hoco?” Keswick stated, “I like asking, it’s definitely easier when you’re dating.”

Whether they had a date or not, students were able to go to the homecoming dance, see their friends, and have fun.