Something sweet to send

Candy grams offer a cheap and easy way to spread holiday cheer.

Students are sending their favorite people notes this week with candy grams. There is both a candy cane and gingerbread man version this year.

Eli Sievers

Candy grams are not a new tradition. Many high school students may remember these fun treats from middle school and even primary school. This exciting holiday gift has officially made a comeback here at WVHS this winter.

Leadership I students wanted to bring back candy grams for a fun way to spread holiday cheer while busy students are counting down the days until winter break. In addition to putting a smile on your peers’ faces, proceeds from candy gram sales will be donated to help the homeless population in Portland.

After the Leadership class’ successful “COIN WARZ” fundraiser, they wanted to do even more to raise money for increased access to medical care for the homeless. Each $1 raised by students will be matched times 10.

Grace Teekee revealed the inspiration leadership I received, “Candy grams are a cute holiday activity and they were featured in the movie Mean Girls.” It only costs one dollar to send a smile to your best friend, crush, or your favorite teacher. They can even be sent anonymously if you’re feeling shy.

Senior Eli Sievers is excited about this fun opportunity, “I love the idea of getting to send a surprise to my friends at school.” He added, “I also feel really good about where the proceeds are going, and love that I get to help.”

Consumers like Eli, get to choose between two options of candy grams. There is a classic red note with a candy cane or a fun gingerbread man-shaped note with chocolate candies. Either choice will be sure to sweeten someone’s day.

The last few days underclassmen in Leadership I have worked hard to put this activity together for the school. The last day to buy one is Wednesday at lunch. Students will receive their candy grams on Thursday during second period.