Students give insight as to which teaching method works for them

Ms. Armstrong keeps a nice balance between strict and friendly. Her warm demeanor motivates students like Hannah Wilken to follow the rules and complete her daily work.

Friendly teaching can help students feel more comfortable and open to asking questions or participating in class discussions. When students feel comfortable, they are more likely to engage with the material and retain the information. On the other hand, strict teaching can help create a sense of discipline and structure in the classroom, which can be helpful for students who need a more regimented learning environment.

However, if the teacher is too strict, it can create a sense of fear or anxiety in students, which can negatively impact their learning experience. It’s important for teachers to strike a balance between being friendly and being strict in order to create a positive and effective learning environment.

Strict teaching can help instill discipline, responsibility, and a strong work ethic in students, which can be beneficial in the long term. Students who are used to a strict learning environment may be better equipped to handle the demands of college or the workforce, where they will be expected to meet deadlines, manage their time effectively, and work independently.

Junior Aida Simonton appreciates some structure in class, “I don’t like a super strict teacher, but it’s definitely helpful to have structure and to know what I need to get done.” It’s important to note that too much strictness can be counterproductive and may lead to negative outcomes, such as anxiety or disengagement. A balance between strictness and warmth is ideal for creating a positive and effective learning environment.

In contrast, friendly teaching can help students develop a sense of trust and respect for their teachers, which can also be beneficial in the long term. Students who have positive relationships with their teachers may be more likely to seek out guidance and support when they need it.

Monique Mallette, a senior, mentioned that she had Mr. Deeder last year. She said he was always so friendly and supportive, even when she wasn’t feeling her best, “Deeder is a great example of friendly teaching done right.” Students who feel comfortable and supported in the classroom are more likely to engage with the material and retain the information, which can help them succeed in their future studies and careers.