Spanish heritage: a new approach to teaching world languages

Mr. Canales is a very popular teacher at Wilsonville High School

West Linn WIlsonville School District

Spanish Heritage is a new and first language class that is primarily for bilingual kids who  have entered their first year of High school. Mr. Canales, who is also a new teacher this year, is teaching the class in hopes of making a difference for the Latino kids. Freshmen and a few sophomores will have the chance to take this class, only because most bilingual juniors and seniors are already in Spanish 5 or in AP. Because of Wilsonville’s growing population, the district felt that there should be more opportunities for Latino kids to be better students and have more academic success.

Sophomores next year will also take a more advanced Spanish and heritage class with Mr. Canales again, and will learn and explore new activities with deeper understandings and life lectures.

The main concept for the new class, is to help develop the student’s ability to read, write, and have discussions about certain topics related to Mexico and Spain’s history. Mr. Canales wants to demonstrate that being bilingual is one of the most beautiful things that someone can be, and it’s super important to develop around the school.  Students should feel comfortable with their Spanish language.

“ I want to establish a new learning experience for these kids, and I want to help them feel comfortable with their Spanish.   I want them to expand their vocabulary and be able to write good short responses to the activities we do in class” Mr Canales says. He also says that he wants his students to look deeper into the articles and videos they watch, and wants them to write more then the main idea but the main purpose as well.  His main goal in the class is to have respect, courage and a good relationship with all of his students.

Mr. Canales is very happy and excited with how the Spanish and Heritage class is working out, and he can’t wait for the next year to be even better.