School, life, and jobs

Melody Garcia Gonzalez

Students jobs represented by different emojis. These are the jobs that the interviewed students will be doing throughout the year.

As teenagers, we experience several rites of passage; getting our permit, then our license, and maybe a car. We slowly become more independent and eventually will not have a guardian to rely on like we do now. Many students at Wilsonville High School have already began this path of responsibility and manage to go to school and maintain a job.

Aylenna Busse, a junior at Wilsonville High School, babysat for a while; she now works at Noodles and Company. She said that she started working to save up for a car and college. Uriel Martinez, a junior, started working at Taco Bell for the same reasons. Carmen Martinez, a senior, wanted a job in order to cover for her expenses. Sam Duran, who is also a junior who works at Noodles and Company started working so that he can make big purchases, such as a car and electronics, without having to ask his dad for money.

Being a high student and a worker is tough but these Wildcats have managed to both and here is how. “Well initially I just rolled with the punches, but then I started to become overwhelmed. So I communicated with my manager and told I wanted to work less weekdays,” said Sam, who apart from the regular school schedule, is also a part of drama and has been involved in many school plays.

Uriel has followed a similar strategy — he works few to no hours throughout the week and piles on during the weekends.  By doing so, he is able to make time for his homework and soccer.

Aylenna, who is also a dancer for the Wilsonville High School dance team, manages her time by making a schedule that she sticks to. She tries to set apart four hours a day and throughout the weekend to strictly to focus on homework.

Since Carmen takes some online classes, she is able to work in the mornings and take the afternoons off for school.

Getting a job is a life experience and with every experience there’s a lesson. When asked what benefits they’ve noticed since they started working, Carmen said that she has improved on social skills and has met many people.

Uriel noticed how much more independent he is, now he can buy his own things.

Aylenna has been able to accomplish her goal and has bought a car, along with this, she has also learned better time management skills.

Sam says, “I have money. Additionally, I feel like I’ve become so much more organized and responsible. Finally I’ve gained a huge amount of patience since you can encounter some pretty rude customers.”

These students, like many others at Wilsonville, have been able to balance school, extracurriculars, and a job. They have learned many life skills and while it is hard, it is not impossible.