A day to remember

Kennedy Juranek, Brooklyn Waddell, Zach Tiderman, Paige Hinnant, and Julia Huchler pose for a picture after signing their athletic scholarships. Photo credit Emilia Bishop.

Anthony Saccente

12-4-19

Period 6

Earlier today, five Wildcat student-athletes officially made their athletic dreams come true. Zach Tiderman signed his athletic scholarship to the University of Iowa for gymnastics; Julia Huchler signed her athletic scholarship to Hawaii-Pacific University for acrobatics and tumbling; Paige Hinnant and Kennedy Juranek signed their athletic scholarships for volleyball, to Briar Cliff University and Montana State University respectively; and Brooklyn Waddell signed her athletic scholarship to San Diego State University for cross country.

Everyone of these accomplished students sat before their friends and family, encompassed by their high praise and athletic achievements. Listening to the quick speech of gratitude articulated by Dennis Burke, the Athletic Director of Wilsonville High School. They were each introduced by name and what college they have earned a scholarship for and then had their individual moment in front of everyone present to sign their scholarship and make the full-ride into college official.

But these students know that their goals would be almost impossible to fulfill without the guidance of those closest to them. WBN’s own Emilia Bishop caught up with Zach Tiderman to discuss her mentor helpers in this long and hard journey to enormous high school success.

“I want to thank the school, my coaches, and my family for this awesome opportunity. It’s amazing how much they have helped me to get to this point.”

These student-athletes had long-lived desires and attained the determination to reach their goal.

“No dream is too big. If you have a goal you want to strive for, do whatever it takes to reach that goal,” said Paige Hinnant, who was all smiles throughout the duration of the celebration.

This experience was immensely gratifying for these fellow students. This is a moment in their lives that will always have a place in their hearts. We only hope and expect that the university life will be entirely worthwhile.