Do students like block schedules?

Juniors Elle Bidwell and Katy Bennet pose in front of one of their classrooms.

Traditionally Wilsonville High School has had a weekly schedule that includes a mix of six periods for two days, and three days with four longer periods. The 2020-2021 school year schedule was changed due to COVID-19. It consisted of four quarters with three periods each day. Each of the three periods were an hour and a half long. 

The schedule for the 2021-2022 school year went back to the previous two semester schedule including three days of four longer block periods. The block periods are 30 minutes longer than the 56 minute class period on Mondays and Fridays. 

When asking students if they prefer block days or the Monday/Friday schedule, junior Katy Bennett stated that she prefers the block schedule. Bennett shares, “It’s better to have less classes.”  Many students feel it seems easier to get back into the routine of school after COVID-19 with a fewer number of classes to focus on each day.  

Elle Bidwell, a junior at Wilsonville, also likes the block schedule. She shares, “Block, because some days I don’t have math and I don’t have to haul around all my stuff.” Students like not having every class every day of the week. 

Wilsonville High School students have experienced lots of changes in their class schedules in the last year and a half. They seem to be looking forward to having a normal class schedule.