Adjusting workload at school, but how?

Students work in their math class. Math, no matter the level, is a subject notorious for having a heavy workload.

Students have always had their doubts at the school curriculum and pointed fingers at teachers for overworking them at times. Almost all Wilsonville teachers will state that they keep the students’ workload in mind and try to minimize their workloads or be flexible with due dates to allow students to be able to get everything done. 

Obviously there is a wide range of students making complaints, some from the all straight A student doing four different sports and taking piano lessons, and some from the students with average grades focused on enjoying high school, but at times forget to get the required task done. There are also always going to be students who simply haven’t learned what it means to work hard and get lazy with their schoolwork at times. Measuring these groups and figuring out which students have a significant opinion, rather than the voices of the undisciplined student, can give some more insight into students’ workload. 

Now at the high school level, there isn’t as much remorse for lazy students, but there isn’t either for the overachiever. Both will suffer from things like low sleep and swift due dates. In students, all of the habits of an overachiever is encouraged. The image of an overachiever is someone whose words are not empty when they say they want to be the best at what they do and be adventurous people. A “lazy” student has habits that won’t get them far at a collegiate level, which is what high school’s main goal is to prepare them for. 

So what can schools do to strike this balance that finds the median of what an over achiever should be maxing out at and a “lazy” student should be meeting without question? The question is difficult to answer and would require an almost senate like set of voices, but could a school achieve this balance? That’s for time and further development and advancements in the student body to decide.