How to be a better test taker

Lorianne Servignat

Sophomore Meredith Krecklow studying for her Spanish exam. She started studying early for it so she is prepared.

Tests, exams, and quizzes are all things that every student faces in their educational career. It is also a skill that can make or break your grade, and many students struggle with it. This can be because of test anxiety, not starting to study early, or you don’t know what to study to be successful on the exam. 

According to an article written by the New York Times, “Many capable, hard-working students perform poorly on exams because they’ve overtaxed their ‘working memory’” your working memory is used for doing cognitive tasks, you don’t have a lot of room for this information. A lot of kids also develop a fear of failure at a young age, this can cause a lot of anxiety when it comes to testing which makes for a really difficult test.

There are many ways to make testing easier in high school and on. There is nothing better than preparation, taking a practice test on the material and coming into class ready with questions can go a long way. Not only studying the night before a test but a week or two before.

Tests can be a very stressful practice for students, so arriving early to class to take a few breaths and calm down can be beneficial. According to an article written by, behavioral neuroscientist, Whitney Kuwamoto, “peppermint can have notable effects on the human brain by enhancing cognitive functions.” So bringing peppermint gum or mints can help you recall information that may seem lost.

When you have finished carefully reading the question, go with your gut! Your first gut feeling for the answer is often right, and often this feeling is ignored. So even if it seems wrong, keep the first answer you choose.

So, make sure that you are taking your time, keep going until the time runs out, and when in doubt choose C.