Students ardently await the Model UN conference

Hannah Wilken

Paul Liu, Junior (left) and Abbie Memmott, Junior (right) work diligently on their position papers. They are excited for a great conference.

Although anyone can (and should) participate in the exhilarating experience that is the Model UN conference, students who take AP world history are especially fortunate because it is already built into the curriculum (and replaces a research paper assignment!). With April rapidly approaching, students in Mr. Eby’s AP World History class can’t wait for the annual Model UN trip.

Junior Abbie Memmott says, “I am excited. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to stay overnight at the University of Oregon and the overall experience of the conference.” Participants of Model UN get the incredible opportunity to stay overnight for two nights in UO housing and get a taste of what college life might be like. Along with a taste of the college experience, students, specifically students in AP World History can look forward to even more.

As per the guidelines of Mr. Eby, students can choose to participate in the conference rather than write a second research essay. Memmott goes on to say that doing Model UN is “Worth it. It’s a fair trade off because the research papers are really long and a weekend at U of O sounds better. Model UN is research with a reward!”

Model UN is also a great way to tie what students learn in the classroom to real world events and problem solving. While students battle it out at the conference to make their voices heard, they can also bring it back to a classroom setting since the last topic in AP World is modern global issues. Mr Eby, the advisor of model UN and AP WOrld History teacher says, “Model UN is all about learning how to speak publicly, how to think globally, how to feel comfortable in front of a group, [and] develop negotiation skills.”

The gleeful anticipation of what’s to come continues to build for all who are involved and students can’t wait to participate. Learning the inner workings of a global political system is key to understanding the way the world works; and, there’s no better way to learn than by experiencing something first hand.