Baseball sees new technology implemented

Baseball, America’s pastime, is rapidly changing due to new technology being implemented. New tools are being utilized in high school, college, the minor leagues, and Major League Baseball.
Mark+Wiepert+warming+up+a+pitcher+before+the+game.+Wilsonville+baseball+has+purchased+the+PitchCom+device+and+has+utilized+it+a+couple+of+times+in+games.+Photo+provided+by+Greg+Artman.+
Mark Wiepert warming up a pitcher before the game. Wilsonville baseball has purchased the PitchCom device and has utilized it a couple of times in games. Photo provided by Greg Artman.

Today, technology is changing and improving rapidly, which means a rapid change in the sports world as we know it.

From improved player development to enhanced safety measures, the integration of technology in sports promises a brighter and more exciting future, with many of these elements already being tested in the lower affiliate teams.

However, many fear humans’ lessening involvement in sports and the possibility that putting too much trust in this technology could backfire.

One common training tool used among all athletes is virtual reality. Virtual reality can stimulate game-like situations. These highly realistic situations allow the athlete to compete and train at a game level with a lower chance of injury.

Specifically for softball and baseball, virtual reality is used to work on hitting and pitch-taking. Athletes can put the goggles on to simulate a pitcher throwing them, locate balls and strikes, and even take swings to work on timing. While virtual reality can’t replace training altogether, it is a beneficial tool for athletes to use occasionally.

PitchComs rapidly took the baseball world by storm. These devices allow pitchers and catchers to easily communicate about what pitch to throw without the chance of other teams stealing signs. Both players wear a transmitter that will speak what the pitch is.

This tool can be extremely helpful in keeping the pitching signs under control and reducing the risk of sign stealing. The MLB has implemented this technology and has seen positive results. One downside is that a loud stadium or environment can affect the player’s ability to hear the pitch call, which could create some confusion among the defensive team.

Umpires aren’t perfect. Any player or spectator of baseball has become well acquainted with this idea. The Triple-A has implemented robot umpires with an automatic ball and strike system. They looked to obtain a more accurate and fair judgment of pitches that would make the game flow better.

Many were skeptical, as this would put the fate of the game on technology and would eliminate human involvement in baseball. With this, if the robot umpires were a hit, many umpires would find themselves out of jobs. It is very unlikely that the robot umpires will reach the MLB but this technology is being tested and improved.

The rapid involvement of technology and artificial intelligence in sports can help each athlete’s injury risk management, prevent or diagnose injuries, keep games enjoyable, and keep games fair. The real question is how far is too far in the involvement of technology in the sports world as we know it? Will this change some of America’s favorite pastimes?